Turkey urges Saudi cooperation in Khashoggi probe

Share

On Wednesday, Turkey's chief prosecutor made details of the murder public for the first time, revealing that the journalist had been strangled as soon as he entered the consulate.

After this, the statement alleges, Saudi officials proceeded with dismembering Khashoggi to secretly transport his body and cover up the killing.

Tuesday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan urged Riyadh to reveal who ordered Khashoggi killed.

"We want to know where the body [of Khashoggi] is, we want that our authorities receive information about who the local collaborators are", Çelik said. "This is not an incident that could have taken place without a high-level order".

The Saudis say they have arrested 18 suspects, 15 of which were members of a death squad sent to kill Khashoggi.

Stating that the worldwide issue cannot be covered up, the justice minister said the responsibility on the Khashoggi killing can not be avoided.

Following the worldwide outrage over the macabre circumstances on Jamal Khashoggi's case, the Saudi public prosecutor reversed its statement and declared that the killing was premeditated.

Dons to receive 20000 tickets for Betfred Cup final against Celtic
I do feel losing the two finals that year was tough on us. We can't have them round here. "It's the wrong place". It is cut-throat - that is the way it is.

The Saudi side has reportedly invited the Istanbul chief prosecutor to Saudi Arabia along with the evidence collected during the investigation.

The Saudi chief prosecutor arrived in Turkey on Sunday to meet with his Turkish counterpart.

Saudi Arabia has not commented directly on the prosecutor's visit and al-Mojeb did not respond to journalists' questions at the airport as he departed. His Turkish fiancee was waiting for him outside.

In wake of the murder, Germany suspended export licenses to Saudi, while US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo invalidated visas of Saudi officials who are believed to be part of the plot to murder the journalist.

Mojeb was the first Saudi official to acknowledge that the killing was "premeditated" based on the results of Turkey's investigation.

In an interview published on October 5, Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohamed bin Salman maintains Khashoggi entered the consulate but came out shortly afterwards.

Under mounting global pressure, Saudi Arabia has changed its narrative about Khashoggi's killing several times, and has recently acknowledging that Turkish evidence shows it was premeditated.

Share