Armed standoff at Los Angeles Trader Joe's: 1 dead


Egland ran to call 911 but Atkins allegedly forced his wounded girlfriend into his grandmother's auto and drove away.

After a three-hour stand-off, the suspect walked out with a cluster of four hostages and appeared to be already handcuffed as the group emerged through the front door. A store worker, 27-year-old Melyda Corado, was killed.

"There is an active police incident at the Trader Joe's near the intersection of Hyperion Ave and Griffith Park Blvd in #Silverlake". Many people yelled and dropped to the floor, she said. I appreciate the retweets and the love.

"Inside the store a young woman was shot and killed", Moore said, adding that officers rescued her, but she could not be revived. The chase began after he shot two women.

Here's a recap and the latest information about Saturday's gunbattle and standoff between police and a gunman at the Trader Joe's on Hyperion Avenue. "Our hearts are broken over what happened today", Trader Joe's said in a statement. "We will continue to do whatever we can to support them".

Law enforcement surrounded the building and had weapons pointed at the store.

"After he was inside the store for a little while, they had me crawl away from the scene and run away around the corner", Field said.

The suspect is now in custody after holding the grocery store hostage for several hours before surrendering to the Los Angeles Police Department.

Hazard, Courtois hand Chelsea double transfer blow
It's been reported by Kaveh Solhekol from Sky Sports that the FA Cup winners are considering signing Cech for a second time. Courtois is ready and waiting for the go-ahead to fly from Tenerife to Madrid to undergo a medical and sign his contract.

Police say the man shot his grandmother seven times and wounded another woman, who he forced into a vehicle. The grandmother was reported Saturday to be in critical condition after surgery.

After the shooting, the suspect took his grandmother's auto - a 2015 four-door Toyota Camry sedan - and fled, forcing his injured girlfriend to go with him, police said.

Among those who survived the harrowing afternoon was 91-year-old Don Kohles, who lives in the neighborhood and was walking into the supermarket when he saw "two police cars coming like a bat out of hell" and the man crashed into the pole.

NBC has learned that at least one employee was instrumental in helping several hostages escape through a backroom.

Videos from the scene show police officers swarming the store as shoppers and employees ran out.

Customers ran out of the store when the armed man burst in.

The situation is still on-going with an unknown number of persons still inside. Authorities said paramedics tried to revive the woman, now identified as Melyda Corado, but she was pronounced dead.

He says the situation is still unfolding and it isn't clear if employees are still inside the store. Those people included the suspect, a 20-year-old woman, 12-year-old boy, 41-year-old woman, 71-year-old woman and an 81-year-old woman. The hostage situation came to an end through the help of crisis negotiators at about 6:30 p.m., approximately three hours after the ordeal began. The suspect was wounded in his left arm after exchanging shots with police, Garcetti told reporters once the standoff had ended. Police have not yet released the suspect's name.