‘Solo’ is really struggling at the box office

Share

Variety reports that the box office take for Solo: A Star Wars Story could end up lower than expected for Disney, as it earned $35.6 million through Friday (including $14.1 million from Thursday previews). "Memorial Day weekend needs to get its groove back after a multi-year downturn that ranked last year's frame at No. 18 all-time for the holiday and unfortunately marked the third straight year the industry did not deliver a $100 million four-day opener", said ComScore senior media analyst Paul Dergarabedian. Things are looking even bleaker overseas: Hollywood Reporter reports that Solo bricked and debuted at No. 3 in China, earning a weak $10.1 million.

"Solo" came in with a Millennium Falcon's worth of baggage following the mid-production firing of directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, who were replaced by Ron Howard. The budget soared past $250 million.

"Triplecross" was the sixteenth episode of Star Wars: Forces of Destiny season 2, and it also brings back two familiar faces: IG-88, the bounty hunting droid from The Empire Strikes Back; and Hondo Ohnaka, the fan favorite space pirate who appeared in Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels.

As it arrived in theaters, Disney might have been wishing it had instead made a Lando Calrissian spinoff with the red-hot Donald Glover, the star of TV's "Atlanta". Nevertheless, Disney has Episode IX on the calendar for December 20, 2019, and is mulling standalone movies about Boba Fett, Lando, and Obi-Wan Kenobi. Star Wars films were once enigmatic and rare events, but Solo is the second release in five months - following Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Moreover, it is forcing the studio to re-examine its strategy for the iconic Star Wars franchise, which Disney took over when it bought Lucasfilm for more than $4 billion in 2012.

Venezuela's Maduro orders expulsion of top USA diplomats
Of course, North Korea has suffered from U.S. (and UN) sanctions created to pressure it into giving up its nuclear weapons. The order came one day after Maduro won a presidential election that many consider to have been fraudulent.

"I'm always loathe to talk about any kind of blockbuster fatigue, but it may have just been too soon for another Star Wars film". Solo was projected to potentially dethrone that movie, but it came nowhere close to doing that.

"The franchise will be fine", Dergarabedian said. "Duel of the Fates" is the best piece of music in Star Wars no matter what people might try to say.

It turns out "Star Wars" is not bulletproof. Additionally, Disney hired the creators of Game of Thrones for a new Star Wars film series, while The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson is making his own new trilogy of saga films after JJ Abrams' Episode IX next year. Final domestic figures will be released Tuesday.

Share